For all of these brewing methods below, you will need the following:

• Aeropress Brewer
  • Aeropress Paper Filter
  • Stirring Spoon
  • Hot Water Kettle
  • Scale
  • Thermometer
  • Timer
  • Freshly Ground Coffee Beans (we are using Costa Rica Finca Las Delicias from One Line Coffee)

A few other tips:

• Try to keep the plunger dry, as any wetness (especially while using an inverted method) can cause the seal to break (from a hard learned experience when hot coffee went all over the counter)
  • Be careful when placing the cap on an inverted brewer, as you can very easily burn yourself.
  • When plunging, always stop immediately when you hear a hissing sound. Pushing any further will just give you a bitter cup
  • Always rinse your filter and brewer before you begin so that it’s clean, hot, and ready for brewing
  • The temperature of your water should always be between 195º F and 205º F for optimal coffee extraction
  • If you try some experimenting yourself, only change one step at a time. As you’ll soon see, changing multiple factors in the brewing method can make a whole world of a difference in the final cup of coffee

Now that we have all of the tools together and an understanding of the Aeropress, let’s begin.

Method 1: Guddina Coffee’s Original Method

aeropress_brewing_regular_pour.jpg

This method comes from your’s truly. I (Tim) have been using this method of brewing with the Aeropress for over a year now, and it creates the perfect cup that I enjoy. Strong, bold, very flavorful, and sometimes even very slightly bitter (I actually prefer that in my first cup of the day).

The Process:

This method uses the regular brewing position, meaning you place the filter and cap on before you begin brewing, and set it up as in the photo above with the plunger on top and the cup underneath from the beginning.

1. Weigh out 18 grams of coffee to be ground on a fine level (#15 on the Encore Baratza Burr Grinder)
  2. Pre-wet the coffee grounds with about 36 grams of water so that they are completely saturated. Let the coffee sit, bloom, and off-gas for 35 seconds. Some coffee will drip through into your cup, but this is ok. You can get rid of that if you would like.
  3. After a 35 second bloom, pour more hot water slowly along the walls of the brewer, while rotating it, until the level of coffee and liquid is about 1 cm below the top.
  4. Immediately put the plunger on top.
  5. Let the coffee sit for an additional 60 seconds.
  6. At 1 minute and 35 seconds, start plunging. This should be about a 25 second process. Don’t forget to stop as soon as you hear the hissing sound.
  7. Clean up and enjoy!

Flavor Profile:

The reason why I love this brewing method is because of how crisp the coffee always comes out. It typically simplifies the coffee’s flavors, bringing out one pretty heavily and pushing the others to the side. With the Finca Las Delicias coffee from today, the flavor that popped the most was th Sweet Molasses, which made for a very rich and medium-heavy bodied cup.

As the coffee cooled it became even deeper. The sweetness fell away, and the roast note appeared.

When I was done with the cup there was a strong aftertaste that was full of that roast note. It stuck around a bit longer than I would have liked, but wasn’t too terrible.

Method 2: Stumptown Coffee Roasters (Inverted)

aeropress_brewing_inverted.jpg

The first inverted method that we’re going to look at is from Stumptown Coffee Roastersout on the West Coast. This is a unique brewing recipe in that it adds several steps that aren’t often discussed by Aeropress users, such as tilting the Aeropress to 45º and spinning for 10 seconds. It’s a fun process, but might take a bit too much time and energy for the average coffee drinker to want to try and conquer.

The Process:

As I said, this method is inverted, meaning you start the brewer off with the plunger already partially inside of the brewing cylinder (the filter and cap go on last on top), and you flip the brewer over before making the plunge into your cup.

1. Weigh out 17 grams of coffee and use a fine (#15) grind level
  2. Make sure the brewer is in an inverted position with the top of the plunger sitting just below the upside-down #4.
  3. Add the grounds to the inverted brewer and saturate with enough water to put you immediately below the upside-down #3.
  4. Immediately stir for 10 seconds. No bloom time was defined.
  5. Pour more hot water until you reach above the upside-down #2
  6. Put the filter and cap on the brewer and carefully lift it off of the table or scale you are using.
  7. Tilt the brewer (firmly gripping the plunger and brewing chamber to make sure they don’t fall apart) at a 45º angle and gently spin for 10 seconds
  8. Flip the brewer over on top of your mug and push down the plunger
  9. Stop immediately when you here the hissing sound.
  10. Optional: Dilute with hot water to your liking, with a recommend 50:50 ration

aeropress_brewing_bloom_inverted.jpg

Flavor Profile:

This brewing method is a bit long, more complicated than others, produces less liquid coffee, and gives you a cup that is quite strong. Stronger than any of the other brewing methods listed here, by far. If you don’t dilute the cup with any hot water, you will have a truly full-bodied coffee experience with notable roast and caramel notes with a thick body. It’s very slightly bitter, but not harsh.

When diluted to a ratio of 50:50 coffee to water, though, this cup really develops nicely. Even though quite a bit of water is added, it doesn’t come out tasting watered down. It moves from the sweetness of caramel to being a bit more chocolatey. The acidity and body obviously smooth out as well.

The aftertaste on this cup (at 50:50 coffee to water) is nearly non-existent. It stays for the briefest of moments in a fine, smooth, and very slightly sweet manner before fading away.

It’s not the most profound cup of coffee I have ever had, and for all of the effort put into it I can’t say I highly recommend this brewing method. However, with that ratio of coffee to water I could find myself every so often using this method at the very end of my day to relax and not get kicked in the face by the huge flavors found in various other brewing methods.

Method 3: World Aeropress Champion 2013

aeropress_brewing_plunge.jpg

In 2013, Jeff Verellen took the stage at the 2013 World Aeropress Championship Competition and produced the winning cup of coffee with this Aeropress brewing method. No inversion of the brewer here, just regular old setup of the Aeropress.

The Process:

1. The 17 grams of coffee weighed out for this method are set quite a bit coarser than any of the others. We put it just lower than the auto-drip level at #20.
  2. Pre-wet the freshly ground coffee with 50 grams of water and gently shake it around to get started and even saturation. Let it set and bloom for 40 seconds.
  3. Slowly add an additional 215 grams of water to the brewer and immediately put the plunger on top.
  4. Let it set for 30 seconds.
  5. Give it a slow plunge that lasts about 30 seconds but stop when there is about 50 grams of liquid left inside of the chamber (just a bit before you would normally hear the hissing sound)
  6. Discard the waste and enjoy your cup.

Flavor Profile:

There’s a reason why Jeff was the World Champion with this Aeropress recipe, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by what I found with it. Seriously, I’m probably going to switch from my original brewing recipe (above) to this one. We’ll see.

The flavor notes on this cup of coffee are incredibly sweet and delicate. The flavor of caramel permeates the cup with some hints of delicious cane sugar on the side.

As it cools the coffee retains a steady sweet flavor, a heavier body, medium acidity, and a perfectly smooth aftertaste that lasts just as long as I was hoping for. This was a refreshing cup of coffee to drink, and I will recommend others try it as well.

Method 4: Blue Bottle Coffee (Inverted)

aeropress_brewing_full.jpg

Another big fish in the craft coffee world, Blue Bottle, also chooses to go with the inverted method of Aeropress brewing that Stumptown works with. Though not quite as complicated, this brewing recipe has a few unique steps that made for an intriguing and complex cup.

The Process:

1. Setup your brewer to be inverted. Plunger on the scale or table, brewing chamber on top of that, all of the numbers upside down, and the filter/cap set to the side to be used later.
  2. Weigh out 15 grams of coffee (less than the other methods) and use a 17 grind level, just slightly finer than auto-drip.
  3. Pour the freshly ground coffee into the inverted brewer and pre-wet with just 30 grams of hot water
  4. Stir to make sure all of the coffee is evenly saturated, and let it set for 30 seconds
  5. Fill the brewer up to the very top with hot water
  6. Let the coffee brew for 1 minute
  7. Give the brewing coffee 10 vigorous stirs
  8. Place the filter and cap on top (be careful)
  9. Flip the brewer over onto your cup and plunge for 30 seconds
  10. Drink up!

aeropress_brewing_inverted_stir.jpg

Flavor Profile:

With this recipe we finally were able to bring out some of the stewed apple flavor notes of the Costa Rican coffee we were brewing. It started off with a nice thick body, with less caramel and more of the molasses and roast notes.

As it cooled, more and more of the stewed apple flavoring appeared as the sweet and roasty notes smoothed out. As I drank the cup I found it becoming more enjoyably complex. The aftertaste was a bit long and drawn out, very slightly roasty. With everything that was going on in this cup of coffee, I would definitely recommend it for people who really enjoy challenging their palette.

What’s Your Favorite Cup?

There are so many Aeropress recipes out there, and so many more to be discovered, that it’s hard to find one that I can say is my absolutely “favorite”. Through my trials and experiments I have found that the regular brewing methods, like the original Guddina method and the recipe by Jeff Verellen, are probably more along the lines of what I enjoy, but there are most assuredly people who will enjoy the cups brewed by Stumptown and Blue Bottle.

We want to know what your favorite recipe is, though, so leave us a comment below! If you share a recipe that we’ve never tried before, you can bet that we’re going to at the next chance we get.

출처 : http://guddina.com/blog/a-comparison-of-four-aeropress-brewing-recipes/